• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Hello from Pasadena MD

W

W2D

Hi everyone. I've been able to make several segmented bowls this last year. Someone at the Woodworking Show told me about the Segment Stamper, so I made one of my own. Open segment vessels are new to me, so I have yet to order a segeasy plate.
Here's one of mine.IMG_0023.JPG

Beautiful work, glad you are joining us here. Any questions please ask we're all here to help, and we're all here learning.
Welcome

Very nice. I am partial to the sw design look in bowls.

Welcome to WTP forum. Take advantage of the gallery if you haven't for posting more of your great works.

Welcome to the forum. By the looks of your bowl you will be answering questions more than asking.

It isn't a requirement but it is nice to have a name rather than a handle. If you want, send Lloyd a message and he will change it for you.

I've been able to make several segmented bowls this last year. Someone at the Woodworking Show told me about the Segment Stamper, so I made one of my own. Open segment vessels are new to me, so I have yet to order a segeasy plate.
Beautiful bowl, W2D!
The next change you get to make a Southwest Design feature ring, you should try the Lamination PRO method as opposed to the 'Stacked Wood' method. Using Lamination PRO, you can make the exact same design, but it will be made by making a simple 1st generation Chevron board and cutting it into lengthwise strips and reassembling those strips.

Since I don't make these patterns using the stacked wood approach, I can't tell you exactly how much time you'll save, but I estimate that you will cut your time by 50% or more. Furthermore, because of the processes involved, the finished pattern *should* turn out better using Lamination PRO.

I made a video tutorial showing this process and you can watch it by clicking the following link:
Title: Using Lamination PRO with Segment PRO

Lloyd,
Actually I did do this starting with chevrons and cutting into strips. This pattern came from "The Art of Segmented Wood Turning" by Malcolm Tibbetts.
Dan

Dan,

Watch my video tutorial on using Lamination PRO to make SW designs and you'll see a very different approach to making these types of designs. One notable difference you'll see if you make a design from cutting a chevron board is that there will be a vertical joint at the center of the segment as that is where the joint of the 'V' of the chevron will show up. While I wish it wasn't there, it is a small price to pay for the dramatic pick up in speed and accuracy.

Here's a link to the tutorial:
Title: Using Lamination PRO with Segment PRO

Back