• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Tornado Globe Part 1 - Design using 3D Design PRO and Woodturner PRO

Lloyd Johnson

Administrator
Staff member
This is Part 1 of a 'Build Along' project in which we'll make an open segment globe that will have a tornado design. This project is intended to be built by beginners using the Stomper System and the 18-segment SegEasy plate.

In Part 1, I'll be using some of the new features of software Version 3 to size the inside and outside diameters to minimize the number of board widths required.

Following this video, there will be others on cutting segments with a miter saw and table saw, using the Stomper to add rings, turning the vessel, finishing it and finally, photographing it to achieve professional-looking results. For this, we'll make a desktop photo booth that will have different backgrounds.

Whenever possible, I'll add innovations or techniques that may be new to you.

After watching a video, come back to this thread and ask questions and make suggestions.

Here is a link to Part 1:
Tornado Globe Part 1 - Designing the Globe with 3D Design PRO and Woodturner PRO - YouTube

Hi LLoyd,

I just finished watching (for the first time) both of the videos you just produced, as usual, you've done great job.

That "Flip Shop Stop" is really a useful application of the Incra tool .... I can't wait to try it in my shop.

Thanks LLoyd, I always feel inspired after learning new techniques from you.

Tim

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

The audio is definitely there, so I'm guessing you're not able to hear audio on any YouTube video right now. If that's the case, I have two suggestions - first, a reboot of your computer will probably fix it, but if it doesn't, try switching browsers. YouTube videos are played as Flash Videos and the browsers continue to have audio issues when playing Flash Videos. They will do fine and then all of a sudden, the audio drops out. It isn't a function of the video being played at that moment, though.

I hope that helps.
Lloyd

Am going to make the open segment globe but have modified the plan to be a closed segment ball. My wife has been after me to make some balls and this is a great opportunity to experiment with balls of different diameters.

I am following along the video on the tornado globe. I have then Segeasy 12 or 24. what would the gap be on WTP?

Stan,

The gap on the 12 plate is 8 and the gap on the 24 is 4. I've had Jerry engrave this information on the plates themselves. They also show the angle to cut the segments. On my plates I use a marker to make these number show better.

AH thank you I sow those number on the order and never made the connection. On with my first segmented project!

Stan, if you can try and post progress photos as you complete your project. You have some very good resources here to offer help and encouragement.

Stan, if you can try and post progress photos as you complete your project. You have some very good resources here to offer help and encouragement.
Here are a few pictures in process. 1st row in Segeasy jig, about 3 rows, final assembly ready for turning, and a couple views of the finished turning. I used maple, walnut, red grandis and mahogany. It turned out ok and didn't fly apart when turning!

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    808.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    984.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    622.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    386.1 KB · Views: 50
Here you go:
Thanks Bob. Just watched it, very clever! I don't have Jerry's disk though although I do have four of his wedgies. I've never made an open bowl. Right now I'm only making hot air balloons with various woods in my segments. I do turn bowls but in just one species, like walnut. What I've been doing is using paper I cut in strips and then simulate that it's wood. I asked Jerry a year ago how I can determine the distance to the blade when I'm using his wedgie sled and he recommended Segment Pro. But as I've said a little while ago here I'm very disappointed it doesn't have fractions. I could use SP all day if it had fractions. I'd even pay double for SP if he could program it to print in fractions.

Paul,
One of the big trends in computers is touch technology and so Segment PRO was written so that it could run on tablets which are now becoming mainstream. Entering fractions on a tablet’s virtual keyboard is very painful. This means that all numeric data fields have up and down arrows that let you use touch to increment/decrement values. These fields cannot be text and fractions are text entries that aren’t allowed.

The good news is that if fractions are top on your list, Woodturner PRO will always let you use fractions. This means that Woodturner PRO will never be touch enabled, though, which means that it could never be added to an App Store which is a goal of mine.

Digital calipers now fully support decimal inches and you can get both tape measures and rulers that have fractions on one edge and digital inches on the other.

Are digital inches the answer for everybody? Nope. I fully understand why you want to stay with fractions but it would mean that Segment PRO would never work in the touch environment and so it’s not a change I could or would do.

I can tell you this - switching from fractions to decimal inches is not as difficult as you think and you will find it to be far easier and more accurate once you do.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. I have an iPad, I'm very tech savvy. I spent my life working very complicated avionics systems, flying, and fixing jets. I'm used to micrometers of all kinds. However, I'm not interested in woodworking with decimals, touch screens, CNC's, or anything else. I find Segment Pro to be awesome and WTP Pro very old and outdated, no offense. I will find another piece of software or just make do. I won't be persuaded to use decimals, I'm sorry but that's not even remotely negotiable.

Thanks Lloyd. I have an iPad, I'm very tech savvy. I spent my life working very complicated avionics systems, flying, and fixing jets. I'm used to micrometers of all kinds. However, I'm not interested in woodworking with decimals, touch screens, CNC's, or anything else. I find Segment Pro to be awesome and WTP Pro very old and outdated, no offense. I will find another piece of software or just make do. I won't be persuaded to use decimals, I'm sorry but that's not even remotely negotiable.
I take no offense, Paul.

As much as I’d like to please everybody, that’s simply not possible. There is not a single piece of software I’ve ever bought that works the way I think it should work. :->

Woodturner PRO looks old because it is 21 years old. I still sell it because there is no software that is more powerful and it is easy to use even if you aren’t tech savvy. It’s just not as easy as Segment PRO because it is far less powerful but allows the software to do much of the work for you.

And if I was doing this for the money, I wouldn’t be doing it at all. I have made it possible and enjoyable for beginners and experts around the world to make hundreds of thousands of beautiful segmented vessels and that makes me very happy.

Make sure you look at Segment Project Planner because it does fractions.

Take care, my friend.
Lloyd

Back