• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
  • Due to a scam attack, the gallery is temporarily turned off. I am working to get this fixed but I have some other things that are higher prioriity. I do hope to have it back soon and there shouldn't be any changes to the content. At least, that is the hope.

bob g

Bob Griffin

PRO Member
hi,
just starting with WTP. i set the width and height for my project bowl and add the rings. after setting up the ring data, WTP changes the width of my bowl. i do not want to change this. what did i not do correctly? help needed please?

Bob,

I hope I understand you question correctly but will make some assumptions.

I assume you're starting in 3D Design Pro to create your wall profile. When you transfer it to Woodturner PRO, you can specify the height OR the width, but not both. In Woodturner PRO, you then add rows and there is no need to specify the diameters at this time. Just add your rows until the top of your top row reaches the height of the wall profile. Then click the Profile-SNAP button and the diameters will snap to the inside and outside wall profiles. I you look in the bottom status bar, you'll see the height and width of the vessel. If you you specified the width when you transferred the profile, it will be exactly the width of the vessel. If you transferred using the height, it will be exact if the top of your top ring reached exactly to the height of the profile.

If you have different results, please provide more details of your process. You can also attach a screen shot which would be tremendously helpful.

Lloyd

Yes that's allcorrect. When I set the bowl width first, I then start adding rings to theproject. If I add enough rings to get the height I need, the rings will behigher than the bowl wall profile that's transferred from 3D Design pro.
When I tried to snap to profile, the bottom most rings conform to the bowl wall profile, but the upper most rings do not, and are left in mid air........so to speak.
Am I able to change the height of the wall profile to make things all match thering height needed, and the wall profile design, and the exact width I need? after you add the correct amount of rings, can you maybe ctrl-snap to profile and get the wall profile snap to the correct height? No matter whether I start with the width,or height, WTP will not keep the bowl dimensions set to what I need.
thanks
bob g

Bob,

When you transfer the wall profile from 3DP, you are specifying the width of the bowl you want and your wall profile is then scaled to create that exact width. The height is simply the result of scaling your wall profile and so it may or may not be the height you'd like for it to be. There are easy options, though. First, when you transfer the image to WTP, specify the height instead of the width and the scaling of the wall profile will give you exactly that height and the width will be based on the scaling of your profile.

If you need to change the wall profile with regards to it's proportions, that is best to do in 3DP. Switch back to that program and select all of the dots you've drawn (deselect any dots that are at the left edge of the window by shift-clicking them). If you want the finished wall profile to create a narrower bowl, move all the selected dots towards the left edge of the window as that is your centerline. To make a wider wall profile, move them away from the left edge.

Repeat the transfer and specify the height as that appears to be what's most important to you. This transfer will replace the prior transfer.

SPECIAL NOTE: When making your transfer from 3DP to WTP, enter either a height OR a width and then hit your tab key instead of the OK key. It will show you what both the height and the width will be before making the transfer. If you need to change either of these dimensions follow the instrucstions below.

With the new wall profile in place, there is a quick way for you to check the height and width. Change the height of the current disk by holding down your control key and holding the up arrow until the top of the disk reaches the height of the wall profile and then click the Profile-SNAP button where it will snap the disk to the outside wall profile. In the Status Bar at the bottom, you'll now see exactly how tall and how wide the vessel will be as in this example where I specified a transfer height of 5.25" and the Status Bar shows that the height is 5.25" and the resulting width is 12-1/8".
Clipboard01.jpg
Once you're satisfied with the height and width, delete that disk and start adding the rows in whatever combination of ring types you like.

One thing to note is that in WTP, you have the same 'Move' button that is in 3DP which allows you to change the position of individual dots without having to return to 3DP. This has one limitation, though - you cannot move any dots higher that the current highest dot because that top dot has already set the bounding box of the vessel based on your transfer. Also, once you transfer the wall profile to WTP, if you make changes to it using the Move tool, you are changing a copy of the wall profile but it is not making any changes to the wall profile you created in 3DP. I almost never do this as it is just as simple to go back to 3DP, make my edits and then transfer it again. This way, I can save the 3DP profile in the same folder I save my WTP files and both have identical profiles.

Bob:

When your adding rings to any of the top rings go above the profile you imported from 3DP?

If so try reducing the heights of the rings so the top ring is level with the top of the profile. Then hit snap to profile.

If not you may want to post your 3dp file and wtp file so we can see what your doing.

Bob:

When your adding rings to any of the top rings go above the profile you imported from 3DP?

If so try reducing the heights of the rings so the top ring is level with the top of the profile. Then hit snap to profile.

If not you may want to post your 3dp file and wtp file so we can see what your doing.

man!
ya'll are great with the info. Now I get to practice what you taught me! ! !
thanks so much.
BG

Back