• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

11 - Summary and Ring Views of Segment PRO

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or not for this question - I use Segment Pro with the option of measurements in metric and have noticed that the Species lengths are still in inches while all the other columns are in millimeters. Is this a bug? I am using version 1.1.028.
Thanks

It’s definitely an oversight. I didn’t realize there were fields that weren’t being converted and nobody had reported it yet.

I’ll put it on my list. It shouldn’t be too difficult.

Lloyd

In the video, when you view the ring view pdf it shows a lot of very useful info on the bottom of each of the pages. When I view a rings pdf I create the bottom has no info, just a pic of the ring assembly. I've attached a pdf I created to maybe better explain what i am seeing (or not seeing in this case0. Am I missing a step someplace in order to add that info to the pages??

Attachments

• 2nd try.pdf
    27 KB · Views: 19
In the video, when you view the ring view pdf it shows a lot of very useful info on the bottom of each of the pages. When I view a rings pdf I create the bottom has no info, just a pic of the ring assembly. I've attached a pdf I created to maybe better explain what i am seeing (or not seeing in this case0. Am I missing a step someplace in order to add that info to the pages??

Not sure why but the info was dropped in SP after the vid was made. Lloyd has stated that the main purpose of the SP ring view is to assist in segment layout when constructing a ring. Some of the differences between SP and WTP are:
- SP Ring view does not show cut information. WTP shows cut information
- SP Ring View shows layout and is not to scale. WTP shows layout and is to scale. That is if you ring is 8 inch" in dia, it prints out an 8" ring.

I tend to take my laptop to the shop to view the info I need if I am using SP.

Well I was looking for a good reason to buy a Surface Pro. Seems like this would be it. :D
Thanks!
-john

The control I used to program the Ring View was made by a third party and it did a good (but not great) job of rendering a ring with x number of divisions that I could paint in different colors. It would have been nice if it would have let me paint each element with the species that was used but it only allows painting by specifying the hexadecimal number of a color. To arrive at this color, I took all the pixels of a species and averaged their numeric values and the average was used to assign the color.

But while the control worked okay for rendering the ring, it did a very poor job of allowing text to printed on the same page. When I increased the size of the ring to nearly fill the page and added the segment numbers to the outside of the ring, the additional text at the bottom of the page caused the entire page not to appear on some pages of nearly every PDF file. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with workarounds, but it was a problem with the coding of the control and you get no access to the code behind the control. I suspect I was exceeding a page boundary somewhere but it didn’t explain why some pages printed and some did not. :-<

Emails to the vendor of the control were never returned. To permanently fix the issue, I removed the additional details and the ring has worked correctly ever since. Since the information is redundant to the Summary printout, removing it to fix a much bigger problem was appropriate. Since there has never been an update the the control and I can’t find a different control that renders a ring correctly, removing the data was the only choice.

Since I can’t fix the issue, I’m going to remake that tutorial so that it doesn‘t show the additional data. I wish I had a better solution but try as I might, I cannot fix someone else’s programming code when I have no access to it and writing the control myself is not an option.

Lloyd

Emails to the vendor of the control were never returned. To permanently fix the issue, I removed the additional details and the ring has worked correctly ever since. Since the information is redundant to the Summary printout, removing it to fix a much bigger problem was appropriate. Since there has never been an update the the control and I can’t find a different control that renders a ring correctly, removing the data was the only choice.

As a software developer I can honestly say I hated having to use someone else's libraries. Unfortunately sometimes it was a necessary evil until we could write our own. I bought a Surface Pro 7 that I can bring in to my shop. Problem solved. Love the software. Great job!. - john

You can change the number of rings in Segment Pro two ways.

One change the height of the bowl, taller bowl more rings
Two change the thickness of the rings, thinner rings more rings

You can change the number of rings in Segment Pro two ways.

One change the height of the bowl, taller bowl more rings
Two change the thickness of the rings, thinner rings more rings
Bob.
I agree. I took the question as if you wanted multiple sized rings (height) in the design (outside the featured ring)

That is for example: ring 2, 4, 6 are 0.5 inch thick, Ring 3 and 5 1 inch thick.
In WTP you can do that. SP takes the ring thickness and desired height and figures out the number of rings needed that are the same thickness. (exclude a featured ring if selected.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
(ps. Covid is still running amok. No visitors to the woodshop is allowed. Not a good year, Have not been in the shop since the start of the pandemic.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
(ps. Covid is still running amok. No visitors to the woodshop is allowed. Not a good year, Have not been in the shop since the start of the pandemic.

Same to you Mike
Have a Happy Thanksgiving
Be safe out there.
Our woodshop is only open 9 - 12, and they only allow 12 people in the shop at a time. Facemasks are mandatory at all times and you have to sanitize your hands on entry. No outside visitors allowed.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 175325.pngGood day, another noob question. What are the lengths for after the wood species? It must be something new, because those numbers are not in the tutorial.

Back