Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Hi segmented wood turners, This is my first segmented vase and I need some help on inside bowl turning. I read few of the comments on turning inside of the bowl. I used carbide type tool and fingernail gouge. The way it caches scares the hell out of me. No flying vase since I am not using jaw. I am grateful of any help, thanks-Habib
    K
    KYTurner
    (Because we are limited to a certain amount of characters, this reply is in multiple messages.) I understand your apprehension. Having all those different angles flying around instead of a nice even flow of wood like a standard bowl can be scary. If you are doing a vase, you want to do it in small sections if possible. Do the base plus 3 or 4 rows, then the next few rows, repeating until you are done.
    K
    KYTurner
    Although segmented turnings are very strong, I would also recommend finishing the inside as you complete each section. When you cut each section, start at the edge with a gouge that has a wing as long as the stagger in your segments (this shouldn't be a problem if you are using a regular fingernail grind).
    K
    KYTurner
    Then with the tool rest inside of the piece, cut down the inside edge taking a bite that is large enough to smooth out the piece and another 1/16th of an inch. Go Slowly. This should smooth out the inside so that you can use any other tool without catching. I hope this helps!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…