1. Congratulations to Roger Meyer - the winner of the drawing for Handmade Christmas 2017! Your #2 Hunter Osprey is on its way. Thanks to all for entering. Another contest will be held soon.
Mike Goldfine

My first and only open segment turning

It was an experiment to give the technique a try a few years ago. I placed the segments by eye and you can see some inconsistencies in the opening sizes. The walls are about 3/32" (2mm) thick. I will probably have to buy some segment plates to get better results and save myself a lot of time with the glueing process. It was a fun if not very impressive project.

My first and only open segment turning
Mike Goldfine, Dec 30, 2017
    • Lloyd Johnson
      Mike, it’s an excellent job of making an open segment vessel without an alignment aid such as a jig or SegEasy plate.

These projects are fun and they really go quickly. When I conduct my segmenting workshops, I cover many segmenting topics over the two-day workshop but each person builds an open segment vessel because it is something twelve people can start and finish in two days where the same would difficult with a close-Segment vessel.
    • Bob Beaupre
      Very nicely do Mike, only us segmenters would see any variation.
    • Mike Goldfine
      Thanks Lloyd and Bob. I was happy with the good glue joints. I rough cut the Baltic birch plywood pieces for my wedgie sled today. I hope to get started with the final cutting, routing and drilling tomorrow. Once that is done I will just need to hear from Lloyd about buying the Segment Pro package that was offered. I now have computer with Windows 10 to run the programs on. Do I really need Excel as well?

Happy New Year,
      Mike
    • Bob Beaupre
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Open Segment Turnings
    Uploaded By:
    Mike Goldfine
    Date:
    Dec 30, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    228.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    836px
    Height:
    1154px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 5s
    Date / Time:
    2017:12:29 16:04:08
    Exposure Time:
    1/33 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    4.15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).