Greg Bloxom

Walnut vase

Quilted walnut with wenge, maple and padauk.

Walnut vase
Greg Bloxom, Jan 14, 2019
Ed Korsberg likes this.
    • mfisher
      Nicely done. The walnut grain is a great highlight to the vase.
    • Greg Bloxom
      @mfisher Thanks, and I agree. It's fun to run onto some not so ordinary stock once in a while.
    • Lloyd Johnson
      Greg,
      I, too, love the grain in the walnut. The walnut we have here in Oregon is very wild and very colorful. I love using it, although it is more expensive than Eastern walnut.
      Just an idea for a future vase...
      A more traditional shape would have the neck and mouth be narrower (and often considerably narrower) than the widest point. If you are newer to turning, this can be tricky as it is difficult to hollow through a narrower mouth. The way to fight this is to make it from two pieces. The lower piece would end just above the feature ring which is usually the widest point. The top half of the vessel will be built from the top down, starting with a waste block. When you have the two pieces complete, glue them together by mounting the top in the tail stock. You'll need an adapter for a live center that is threaded for the adapter. This process pretty much eliminates the need for hollowing and it ends up saving a ton of time.
      Thanks for posting.
    • Greg Bloxom
      Thanks, Lloyd, for the tip. I need more figured walnut! I've done several vases in the manner you describe, so I'm fairly familiar with putting them together. I started out intending on making this an urn with a lid but changed midstream. My wife/advisor suggesting making the opening like this...and I always listen to her! ;-) Thanks again.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Arlin Eastman
      I think the walnut is the bees knees on this and the whole layout is fantastic looking. Well done.
    • Greg Bloxom
      @Arlin Eastman Hey, thanks, Arlin. Some good stock along with fun software (WTP & SP) and anything's possible!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Segmented Turnings
    Uploaded By:
    Greg Bloxom
    Date:
    Jan 14, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1512px
    Height:
    2016px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone SE
    Date / Time:
    2019:01:13 13:12:48
    Exposure Time:
    1/24 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    4.15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).